Today I had a total of 23 students attend class, though we were a class of 20 as class ended at noon.
One interesting challenge that’s come up is that my enrollment cap is thirty, but there are only 21 computers in a computer lab. So far I’ve never had more than 21 students at computer time…
Anyway, we were very grammar-heavy in yesterday’s class, focusing in on the structural similarities and differences in using “can” and “have to.” I really wanted to get beyond the form, meaning, and even pronunciation fo of the words and into usage. To do this, I needed to design a fluency activity. This means I had to set the stage, step aside, and let them use the language.
To set the stage, they needed a quick vocabulary review of different activities. I tend to struggle with vocabulary, but I was pleased with how this one turned out. By the end of this activity, they had gotten up out of their seats, reviewed the vocabulary, demonstrated some level of understanding by putting it on a spectrum, and put a huge word bank on the wall to prepare for the upcoming writing activity.
Here’s what we did:
- At home, I wrote 22 activities on 22 notecards in dark ink.
- I wrote on the board, “Shh! Do not read the cards out loud!” I drew a picture of a card and wrote “secret” on it. I explained verbally too.
- I asked a student in the front to tape a card to my back. Naturally, someone read it out loud. We repeated the directions and laughed. I demonstrated that I could not see it, but everyone else could.
- I taped a card to each student’s back.
- First, students walked around silently, reading each other’s backs. I demonstrated first, and gave them 5 minutes.
- Second, each student had to figure out what was on his/her back, still with no talking. I demonstrated the charades game and told them they had to act. I gave them about 7 minutes.
- After they’d figured out their cards, I had them tape them to the top of the blackboard, organized from great exercise through no exercise (for example, play basketball and talk on the phone were on opposite ends of the board).
I was very happy that it was quick, interesting, and a nice transition piece.
The writing activity was to write three invitations using “can.” For example, Can you play golf on Saturday morning?
We then used these invitations to begin the part of lessons that tends to make me nervous: fluency practice. For fluency practice, the teacher sets the stage and then backs away to let the students actually use their English.
Students paired off. Using their written work either as a script or as inspiration, they invited each other to do things. The invitee made up an excuse using “have to” (i.e. Sorry, I have to teach class then.). Then we changed the rules so that the invitee had to accept (i.e. yes, sure, good idea).
Tomorrow, we’ll do a small amount of accuracy practice, probably sentence scrambles. We’ll spend much more time making calendars and having some real conversations about them with even less of a script than we had today. We’ll see what happens!